A Christian is an individual who has repented of their sins and placed their faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. This individual who was once far away from God has been brought near by the blood of Christ and is now a child of God and an heir to Christ Jesus (Eph 2:13, 1 Jn 3:1, Rom 8:17). Christ is the head of the Church (Eph 1:22). The Church is the body of Christ. In this sense, everyone who “calls upon the name of the Lord” is saved and is a part of Christ’s church. While all who are saved are members of the church at large (universal), loving and following Jesus is expressed at a local level. Church membership is the local church’s opportunity to make the gospel seen clearly through worshiping Him together, nourishing each other and evangelizing the lost. (See our Statement of Faith on “The Church”)
Who can be a member at The Gathering?
The simple answer is “Christians”. Since Christianity is credal, one must have a credible profession of faith. This is what Jesus did with Peter (Matt 16:15-16). The Bible also teaches that the faith that God gives is a fruit-bearing faith (John 15, Ephesians 2:8-10, Gal 5, James 2). Thus, a Christian is one who believes rightly about the gospel and seeks to grow in Christ by the Holy Spirit. Prior to membership, the believer must attend our Meaningful Membership class and submit to the Statement of Faith and Church Covenant.
Having repented of my sin and placed my faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and being in agreement with The Gathering’s teachings and purpose, I now feel led by the Holy Spirit to unite with The Gathering as my local church family. In doing so, I commit myself to God and to the other members for the sake of:
- I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior (Jn 3:16, Eph 2:8-10, Titus 3:5-6, Romans 10:13).
- I will seek to build an intimate, growing, obedient relationship with Jesus Christ (Lk 18:1, Acts 17:11, 1 Cor 9:24-27, Eph 5:1-21, 1 Thess 5:12-22).
2. Christian living
- Not only will I seek to follow Christ, but I will seek to live like Christ in my Christian character (Titus 2:11-14, Eph 1:4, 1 Cor 8:1-13, 10:23,31, 1 Pet 1:14-16, Phil 1:6; 2:12-13).
- I will protect the unity of my Church by acting in love towards other members, refusing to gossip, and being a source of encouragement to the leadership of this church (Jn 13:34-35, Rom 12:15, 1 Cor 15:31, Gal 5:13, Eph 4:2, 1 Thess 5:13, Heb 10:24).
- I will embrace and live out our statement of faith (Hebrew 13:17).
3. His Church
- I will attend worship regularly with this congregation (Acts 2:42-47, Titus 3:14, Heb 10:23-25).
- I will serve The Gathering body by using the spiritual gifts that God has given me. I will also look for ways to simply serve this church as various needs arise (Romans 12:3-8, 1 Cor 12, 1 Pet 4, Eph 4).
- I will give financially of my tithes and offerings to support the ministry of this church. I will give consistently, generously, and with a grateful heart (Matt 25:14-30, Rom 12:1- 2, 1 Cor 16:1-2, 2 Cor 8-9, 1 Pet 4:10-11).
4. Our Community
- I will pray for this church community and the broad community that the Lord has strategically placed this church within (Eph 6:18-19, Col 1:9, 1 Thess 5:17, 25, 2 Thess 3:1, 1 Tim 2:8, Heb 13:18).
- I recognize that “Christian Community” goes beyond what can happen on Sunday morning, and I will intentionally pursue community with people in this body (Rom 12:13, 1 Tim 5:10, Heb 13:2, 1 Pet 4:9 Acts 2).
- I will reach out to those who are far from God in my life in the manner Jesus has prescribed (Matt 18:10-35, 28:19-20, 1 Thess 2:8, 2 Tim 2:2).