Global Prayer Initiative | Paris
We are continuing our “Global Prayer Initiative” in order to pray specifically about how we can love and serve the YMCA internationally. Essentially, we’re spending 2019 to ask, “Where to Lord?” We have chosen several influential cities that are:
- Cultural and business hubs
- Regionally influencing
- Ethnically diverse
- Globally impacting
- Economically diverse
- Physically and spiritually in need
This month, our city to devote ourselves to in prayer is Paris, France. Paris played a significant role in the history of the YMCA. As the YMCA began to spread across Europe, a number of leaders gathered together to pray and set forth a statement to hold fast to Jesus and biblical fidelity. The year was 1855. Some of the deepest roots and foundational commitments of the YMCA were made in Paris. The statement was called “The Paris Basis”. It states:
“The Young Men’s Christian Association seeks to unite those young men, who regarding Jesus Christ as their God and Savior, according to the Holy Scriptures, desire to be His disciples in their faith and in their life, and to associate their efforts for the extension of His Kingdom amongst young men.”
In summary, the foundational beliefs of the YMCA are:
- To exalt Jesus.
- To be faithful to God’s Word.
- To make disciples.
- To spread God’s Kingdom.
So that you can pray with us, here's a few stats on Paris and the YMCA there...
Concerning the City of Paris:
- One of the richest cultures and histories in Europe
- Most visited country in the world with over 80 million tourist
- Six evangelical Christians per 1000 in France
- Islam is the second largest religion in France
- Paris has the fourth largest atheist population in the world
- Less than 10% own a Bible and 80% have never handled a Bible
Concerning the Paris YMCA:
- YMCA Paris is a key member in YMCA Europe
- Main Programs:
- Youth vacations and international exchange programs
- Vacation Centers
- Social integration through employment, training, housing and health
- President is Marc Lehning
Would you pray for Paris and the Paris YMCA with us? Here’s three requests:
- Pray for Open Doors
"And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ..." Colossians 4:3
- Pray for Workers
"Then He said to His disciples, ‘The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field.’” Matt 9:37-38
- Pray that the Message spreads rapidly & would be honored
"Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you.” II Thessalonians 3:1